January 29, 2013

CHICKEN SOUP.


Ok, so there are two versions of this soup I make.  The quick and easy rotisserie way or the completely from scratch way (which still uses some chicken stock).  I pretty much always make it with a rotisserie because I'm usually short on time and handling a whole raw chicken really grosses me out... I've included both ways.  

Ingredients:1 whole 3-4 lb. (rinsed) chicken or 1 rotisserie chicken*
1 box of organic chicken broth or 2 boxes if your are using rotisserie chicken
1/2- 1 box pasta
1 bag organic baby carrots or about 6 regular carrots (chopped into 1/2 inch pieces)


4 celery stalks (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)

1-2 onions (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
1 clove garlic (minced)- optional
fresh thyme (minced)
fresh dill (minced)
fresh rosemary (minced)
sea salt

pepper
organic chicken bouillon powder- optional


Directions:In a large pot, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium, combine carrot, celery, onion, garlic, thyme, dill, rosemary, salt and pepper.  Sauté for about 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. At this point we add the chicken:

Whole Chicken:Move the vegetables to the sides and add your chicken to the pot breast side down.  Let it brown up for about 1 minute and pour in box of chicken stock.  Add enough water to cover the chicken and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and partially cover; cook until for about 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.  Skim and foam or fat that rises to the top if you would like.  (I usually don't, I'm not patient enough and it kind of gets mixed in) Remove chicken and set aside, when it is cook enough shred it into pieces and return it to the pot.

Rotisserie Chicken:Shred the rotisserie chicken into bite-size pieces and add it to the pot.  Sauté the chicken for about a minute or two to combine all the flavors.  Add two boxes of organic chicken stock and cook until heated through (you can add water to it if you want to get some more out of it).

Add your choice of pasta or rice and cook until a little al dente.  (I use something different just about every time ditalini, farfalline, cut spaghetti, egg noodles, or orzo depending on what I have) Some people like to cook the pasta separtely and add it individually to the soup. I add it right in because I like that it adds some starch to the water and thickens it up a bit.  If you plan on having leftovers and eating this throughout the week know that the pasta will absorb the broth and get significantly bigger and soggy.  I happen to like my soup pretty thick and also when cooking for a toddler this makes it way easier for them to eat.  You can play around and see which way you like it the best.  


I taste it many times along the way to adjust to your liking.  Usually I'll add salt, If I think it is too salty I just add some water, if I think it needs a little more chicken goodness I'll sprinkle in some organic chicken bouillon.   

Enjoy!

*Note: Always try to use organic or natural chicken, it really makes a huge difference taste and health wise.  They are sometimes a little harder to find and a little more expensive but it totally worth it.  I buy Harvestland Natural Rotisserie Chicken from BJ's, it is US-raised on a vegetarian diet and has no hormones, no antibiotics, and no animal by-products.  

No comments:

Post a Comment