February 11, 2013

YOU ARE. YOU EAT. // Week 5

So this week I didn't do a whole lot of planning, and I was perfectly fine with that.  We ate lots of leftovers, ordered pizza, ate at my sister's (who made really delicious chili that maybe she would like to share?) and then we had the best perogie's ever (thank's helen)... so there wasn't a whole lotta cookin' going on.  We did however, do a little baking and tried out a few interest recipes I've been wanting to give a go.  So here it is... Week 5.



Meal Plan//
1. Oven Roasted Chicken Thighs
2. Homemade Zeppoli's (by kris)
3. Brussels & Sausage Pesto
4. Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake

Shopping List//
Produce:
  Broccoli
  1 lb Brussel sprouts  
  3 large carrots (or a handful of baby carrots)
  2 cup fresh blueberries 
  8 cloves garlic  
  2 Lemons
  Rosemary(optional)
  Sweet peppers

Pantry:
  2 quarts Canola oil  (for frying)
  Confectioner's sugar
  Flour
  Olive oil
  Salt
  Sugar
  Vanilla extract
  1/3 cup pesto*
  (16 oz.) orecchiette,  1 lb. (or any pasta)
  Baking powder
  Garlic powder
  Pepper

Dairy:
  ½ cup Buttermilk**
  3 Eggs
  Parmesan cheese
  1 cup Ricotta cheese
  ½ cup Unsalted butter

Frozen:
  Frozen peas

Meat:
  Bone-in chicken thighs (boneless works too)
  Chicken sausage links (I used spicy Italian)

* Pesto- I made my own pesto... I just put a bunch of fresh basil, pecorino romano cheese, a few roasted pine nuts and olive oil in the food processor.  So easy and so good.

** Buttermilk-  This pretty much blew my mind, you can make your own buttermilk.  I usually stay away from recipes that have buttermilk because I hate buying a whole carton just to use a little bit and the rest always goes bad.  It is so easy to make with things you probably always have on hand... just place 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice (I used lemon juice) in a liquid measuring cup. Fill cup with milk until it reaches 1 cup and let stand for 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment